Target meeting: 13May09, 09:00

Present: PS, JL, KL, JT, CB, PH, RN

1. Review of actions:

None recorded.

2. Progress on mechanical design and fabrication:

2.1 Target assembly: JT

·         Vacuum tubes: Cullham have brased tubes, need some checks.  Hope is that they will be at RAL tomorrow.  Then they need to be measured on the Talirond.  Shall need to skim top of collar at RAL before shipment.  Expect to ship on Monday 18May09 and so arrive in Sheffield 19May09.  If there is any mis-shaping would expect to correct at time weld is skimmed.

·         Assembly: small issue with fixture for bellows – clash between cooling pipe location and retaining screw.  Two options to solve problem; modify position of holes or machine down screw head.  Preference is to move holes.  This fix does not other parts of the assembly.

o   Action: JT/RN: Clarify issue of clearance etc. raised above via drawing and email.

·         PS raises issue of shape of index marker.  Could modify the marker, needs to be discussed between PS and JT.

o   Action: JT/PS: Agree final specification of marker detail.

·         Integration drawing including optical block must be modified.  JT will take care of this.

o   Action: JT: Modify assembly drawing to show correct orientation of vane.

·         EC completed manufacture of stock parts for welding of shaft.  Will take components to Culham this PM.  Hope is that they are able to start straight away.

·         M.Gibson has been contacted to ask whether his system can be used to vacuum test the welds.  Agreed in principal that this will be OK.

·         First option for the clean room does not seem too positive since it is in use and not quite clean.  EMcC has offered an alternative clean room.  JT and EMcC will visit shortly.

·         PH raised issue of second bellow: JT had consulted EMcC, J.Loughrie will attempt to bore fixing holes in bellows.

·         RN: asks for clearance between coils and covers because RN needs to be sure that the connector blocks will fit.

o   Action: JT/RN: Clarify clearance required by connector blocks and ensure design of cover is commensurate with the required clearance.

·         RN: supports for cooling pipes – dimensions vary only by a small amount – implies that proposed fixing scheme is OK.

2.2 Stator: CB

·         One stator is on jig completely assembled (with cooling jacket and thermocouples).  Are building second stator assembly.  Could be possible that second a stator will be ready by next Tuesday.  Will do ground check at assembly stage.

·         Agree to bring stators when CB comes to CM24.

2.3 Modifications to gate valve and vacuum vessel: EMcC

·         No report this week.

3. Progress on (dynamic) mechanical FEA: SY, WL

·         No report this week.

4. Progress on magnetic FEA: PS

·         Require to discuss with Jim Rochford before he leaves.  Implies must be done before October 2009.

5. Target electronics and DAQ: PS, JL

Controller/USBDAQ interface boards:

·         Little progress to report since last Friday.

6. Target software: PH

·         Remove from agenda until August/September.

7. Commissioning plan: discussion

·         Want to bring parts for assembly to RAL by early July.  Rehearse with as many parts as possible early in July.

·         Update of draft installation/commissioning note will be circulated for next week’s target meeting.

o   Action: PH/PS: Meet with S.Griffiths et al at DL to discuss details of electrical integration in R78 and ISIS.

·         High-speed camera photography of online and offline target potentially of great value.

o   Action: JT: Seek to book high-speed camera for relevant period.

8. Next meeting

·         Next target meeting: 20May09

·         Next target w/s, with ISIS: possible dates in June 12, 17, 18, 19

1.    Our preference: 17 or 18.

1.    Need contribution from ISIS on interlocks.

9. AoB

·         CB agreed to collate holiday dates: as a start:

1.    Holidays: KL away ~31Jul to ~13Aug

Summary of actions:

·         JT/RN: Clarify issue of clearance etc. raised above via drawing and email.

·         JT/PS: Agree final specification of marker detail.

·         JT: Modify assembly drawing to show correct orientation of vane.

·         JT/RN: Clarify clearance required by connector blocks and ensure design of cover is commensurate with the required clearance.

·         PH/PS: Meet with S.Griffiths et al at DL to discuss details of electrical integration in R78 and ISIS.

·         JT: Seek to book high-speed camera for relevant period.

·         CB: Collate team’s holiday plans.