11:00 -- Imperial
1. Summary of target operation to date:
Running history, history plots, etc.: PH
- See slides.
- Points noted during discussion:
- Spread of BCD (full width) 0.6 mm which is acceptable in ISIS and
similar to the spread of the T1
- Electrical noise in R78 larger than in ISIS. Believed to be due to
pure ground, proximity of power-supply and control/daq rack, and routing of
cables. Agreed to try and address the issue of noise at source before
running the next iteration of the target in R78.
Dip and particle rate, next steps: AD
Investigation of temperature of target tip: AA
- Result of study was inconclusive. AA will extend the range of data
considered and make a reasonable estimate of the temperature rise expected.
- We should consider viewing the target through the quartz window with a 'pucka'
video or still camera.
2. Progress on
mechanical design and fabrication:
assembly  and : JT
- Inspection and analysis of T2 plans for build of T3, T4 ...: JT:
- Is T2 acceptable in the machine? Discussion
- We believed that:
- Performance of target (i.e. stability of BCD and acceleration) was
sufficient for it to be acceptable to MICE for running in ISIS:
- Full width of BCD (~0.6 mm) is less than spread of vertical position of
ISIS beam during a run
- Dust that enters vacuum vessel from wear of plastic bearings not
significant to affect operation of ISIS
- Therefore, T2r, has demonstrated target has demonstrated that the
present design is satisfactory.
- The various ideas for improvements:
- Smooth second flat;
- Burnished bearing surfaces to size before assembly;
- Improvement of alignment of magnetic axis;
- Consideration of improved bearing material;
- Dust 'management' through installation of dust catcher;
- and other measures
- will be implemented to improve performance and to further
mitigate the production of dust and the ingress of dust into the vacuum
- Magnetic QA: GB
- Rig ready ... photo of rig: here
- Will install on DLS magnet rig next week assuming availability and
support from Emily.
electronics and DAQ: PS, JL, CMacW
- See slides.
- Raise issue of whether additional BPS signals/interlocks are required at
Trgt mtg with ISIS.
- Consider adding a 'hooter' for target raising under interlock
- Add cover for cabinet in vac-rack area
Schedule, cost, next steps, discussion ...
- JT's plan for target build includes an 'emergency action' line to
provide a replacement should the target on ISIS fail We
therefore agreed that we would take the attitude that 'if it works, dont fix
it' and propose not to move the present target out of the machine in the
- T3 would be available in May, according to JT's plan, so would be able
to consider installation in June s/d. But would need to review closer
to the date.
- Controls/DAQ work would need to be completed before Christmas.
Looks OK on present schedule. Agreed that PS would help with magnetic
analsys once phase 1 controls u/g was done. Start on Phase 2 on
01May10 'come what may' to be sure to finish by Christmas.
5. Agenda for target review meeting with ISIS
- Target review meeting with ISIS: 18Mar10
- Agenda posted on trgt www site
7. Next meetings
- Target meeting with ISIS, CM26, then resume phone meetings ...
8. Target paper
- Draft of text 'by summer'.