MICE target phone meeting
16Feb11: 09:00 GMT
Present: PH, EO, BS, CB, JT, GB, PS, EO,
Phone details: here
1. Review of actions:
GB, PH: Will chase
PH: Writing up
last inspection is underway;
outer diameter changed. JT received confirmation of order from Arnold.
Proforma invoice forwarded to purchasing. (Cost >5K inc VAT may cause difficulties.)
KL to chase date
2. Review of running in R78 and inspection: PH, EO
- EO: 18 hours running – see plots: one and two
- two end positions; one start positions to date and
indication of 2 start positions emerging;
- PH: will stop target between 11:00 and 12:00 every day and
leave it off for one hour;
- JT: Refit went very smoothly. Rotation on vain was 330
microns rather than 280 microns. Almost certainly due to slight
difference in the bearing. Not expected to be an issue;
- Continue running with daily stops.
3. Progress on mechanical design and fabrication:
3.1 Target assembly  and : JT
- Orders out for slots and boring of shafts. Now writing
RFSs for welding today. Progress on lead shaft and three shafts should be
ready from Excel Precision. Next step will be machining of shafts etc.
prior to DLC coating;
- Still ~ 1 wk behind schedule. JT seems confident that
this can be recovered.
3.2 Stator development: EC, GB, BS
- See slides.
- GB sent slides of model of stator. Bobbin has slots in
fins for ‘one-way wind’. Needs update to determine top of copper.
Thermocouple detail to be added. With that, detailing will be done;
- Cooling jacket designed. Three sectors fasten to bobbin.
Structure is a single copper block cooled by a 4mm copper pipe.
Manifolding to supply water to the three jackets will be done outside the
- PCBs taking current to coils will be fitted in between the
cooling jacket. Jacket will require pressure leak testing;
- To do: finalise electrical distribution and outer
diameter; and detailing. Once design is complete need to define assembly
and test procedure.
- 1kV test from coil to stator. This has to be done coil
by coil and again with the assembled stator;
- Also require a continuity test;
- Also need a field map.
- A little behind schedule because of development of wiring
procedure. Expect to have all pieces designed this week so can detail
3.3 Permanent magnet development: PH
- Procurement progress noted above.
3. Target electronics and DAQ: PS
- PCBs have arrived! Now back in business. One board now
stuffed; now complete. Expect to begin testing in next couple of days.
4. Target paper: CB
- Present draft can be accessed from:
has provided more material. AD needs to provide some input.
Combine short writing w/s with MICE ISIS writing w/s. KL to
5. Next meeting
09:00 phone call (unless changed due to running in ISIS)
- PH: Install shielded USB cable to protect target PC in R78
from electrical noise e.g. from welder.
will discuss with MR to arrange for order of appropriate upgrade.