MICE target phone meeting
30Mar11: 09:00 GMT
Present: CB, KL, JT, EC, GB, EO
Phone details: here
1. Review of actions:
GB, PH: Work with WS on chiller purchase
GB: no report this
week. Will check with WS, but believe order has been placed.
PH: Complete write up of complete
KL: Poll for date for MICE/ISIS target
We have been
offered: 18, 20, 21 April, 11, 12, 13 May.
PH: Install shielded USB cable to
protect target PC in R78 from electrical noise
2. Review of running in R78 and inspection: PH, EO
- See plots: one, two, three
- Automatic adjustment of set-point 2 (deceleration start)
has occurred a number of times. Spread of start position and BCD is not
as broad as it was.
- All happy, will continue to run the target.
3. Progress on mechanical design and fabrication:
3.1 Target assembly  and : JT
- Three lower shafts are back from wire erosion. EC
- One upper shaft in hand. Fitted with socket to take
lower shaft. This will form the lead shaft. Being prepared for
- Top shaft was made from Grade 5 titanium, wire cut has
caused cutting of slot to splay the two halves of the shaft. Previously
had used Grade 2 titanium and this was not an issue (in fact the gap
collapsed a little). This has to be recovered through heat treatment.
Implies an additional delay of a few days. Advantage of Grade 5 is in
the machining (especially in the grinding processes).
- Will be sent for welding in the next week.
3.2 Stator development: EC, GB, BS
- Believe that all issues relating to copper cooling jacket
and stator core/bobbin now ironed out. Will take cooling jacket and
bobbin manufacture to Imperial to see if can parallelise build. Goal is
to use CNC machine so that additional parts can be made efficiently.
- Cooling jacket now has been designed to avoid possible
- Will order 1000 ft of silver wire.
3.3 Permanent magnet development: PH
3. Target electronics and DAQ: PS
- Digital side of board had been tested and OK. Analogue
side still needs testing.
4. Target paper: CB
- Present draft can be accessed from:
Combine short writing w/s on 13Mat11.
5. Next meeting
09:00 phone call
MICE/ISIS target w/s